vrijdag 31 juli 2009
Because dinner sucked (pardon my french) yesterday, I hardly ate anything. I don't like throwing food away at all, but this just made me a bit sick to my stomach so there was no other option.
Therefore I woke up starving! So I made the deliciously creamy banata oatmeal from Kath. It was soooo good! I wasnt so fond of oatmeal yet, but the way this was prepared just made it taste so much better! And i didnt need to add any sugar!
Okay, I really have to get back to work now, I just wanted to rave about my breakfast for a while, lol
Oh, almost forgot: here is the picture of it. I did not use berries in it, instead I added assorted nuts and raisins to it and a little cinnamon. I heard a lot of people saying that they add peanut butter to their oatmeal and i just couldnt imagine, but now, with the peanuts there I have an idea and I will try someday soon!
donderdag 30 juli 2009
As I said before work was a disaster today. Before going home I went to my parents' place because I'm taking care of their cat until Sunday. The cat was very happy and came to cuddle with me for a while. I felt bad because I couldn't stay with him long. But after I gave him his food he ate and then took off outside...:S
I went home and did some work on my blog and read my other favorite blogs. So far for my very interesting day.
But I did come up with a theme for my blog finally. I was playing around with the theme of happiness, because for me that's the most important thing there is in life. I think part of my restlessness (is that a word? lol) comes from me not being entirely happy with my life how it is now. Not that I am unhappy now, I just think it can be better: I'm in for nothing less than bright and shiny!
Having studied psychology my interest in happiness is kind of logical. In the end everything is about well-being/happiness. Psychology is the study of human behaviour and I think most of everybody's behaviour is driven by the desire to be happy, or at least what you think makes you happy.
So here are some of the things that make me happy:
Sorry, for the mess, I still dont understand a lot about html code yet,but I prefer this over everything lines up underneath eachother.
So, this is all pretty straightforward and obvious. But the thing is to incorporate all these things in you life in such a way that you feel good about it. For instance, I can make sure that all of this is in my life, but if I force myself to do/have all of that, chances of getting a burn out are higher than those of happiness. It's not realistic to try and make your life perfect. It will only make you miserable. It's all about balance and priorities and that is what I find difficult: what do I prioritize?I am pretty much done thinking about this for now though. I will not have the answers tonight anyway. I will have to learn trough trial and error. I will start with one living after one balanced goal each month. The first one, which I have already been working on: getting rested.
I am going to finish off with one other thing I did find out:My career is not as important in my life as I thought it was/would be.
What are the things that make you happy?
Yes, we may sell our house and buy another one, bigger and in a more quiet place! I am so excited about it! But right now the best thing I can do is continue cleaning up the mess in our office/study and continue doing what I always do at least until we talked to the bank and know exactly how much money we can get....
But even before the moving plans, my brain was already bullying itself with all these thoughts, dreams, ideas and new interests. Even though it is a lot of fun passings your days like this, it's getting annoying now, because it keeps me from doing the things that I am supposed to do. And I keep getting the feeling that it means that I am not entirely happy with the way my life is...I have to think about that some more. But not now...I have to get back to work and try to finish some stuff before I go home.
I know I haven't been around here for a couple of days, but not much of interest happened anyways.
Ok, gotto go now, but will be back later!
maandag 27 juli 2009
Today was my first real working day. Last week it didn't really feel like work (and to be honest I did not do as much as i as supposed to/hoped to do). Work went really well, I was motivated and finished an important part of my analyses, so now I get to focus on writing the article!
My spelt bread turned out really good yesterday! i forgot to take pictures, but it looked like a real bread and tasted just as good as the other spelt bread i bought form a organic food store.
Yesterday I finished all the administration things! I threw away so much stuff! Now i get to continue with the next part of the administration. I think it;s more paper work....
Talking about paper work: we made an appointment today with the bank to discuss our mortgage opportunities, but it's not untill friday next week. However, the real estate guy will be here wednesday to give us some advice!
Dinner today was good: Croque madame with spinach salad! Even though it sounds quite chique, it was just a grilled cheese-ham sandwich with an egg on top :
As for workouts: i decided not to go to the gym today and have a rest day. But I am going to do the balance exercises that are part of the boot camp at Oh She Glows .
Ok, I really gotta go right now. Also my head is pretty full so i can't focus very well on writing. 'Till next time!
zondag 26 juli 2009
zaterdag 25 juli 2009
donderdag 23 juli 2009
Yesterday eve I was too busy (watching tv) to write about my day, so I'll do that now. I had the day off and spend it on relaxing and working on some small projects. I finally finished my scrapbook pages of the walking event i attended last year! It was the first time I did such a thing and i think I like it. I noticed that as i progressed, the pages became more creative and interesting. I am definately going to make some more pages on other things too.
But first I wanted to continue making a dress. I like to sew my own clothes and right now i'm working on transforming a skirt into a dress. I learned how to on http://www.burdastyle.com/ . I hope it turns out well- that is, into something i'd like to wear.
The boyfriend was free as well, and he was teasing Chinta and made some cute and dorky pictures. And Chinta was just to lazy, or did not care enough, to move!
Before dinner i managed to get myself to the gym for my body combat class. I started following these classes because i wanted a change from body pump and add some more cardio, but i am really starting to love those classes! You get a good sweat out of it and aside from the cardio you can really feel your muscles working.
So what did I eat today? For breakfast I had some yoghurt with banana, cornflakes and oats. Because it filled me up quite a lot and breakfast was later than usual i didnt need a snack this morning. For lunch we had french fries with a frikadel (typical dutch deep fried meat snack). I could really feel the difference by the way, from eating deep fried things for the first time since a couple of weeks. I felt less energetic. So to add some more healthy stuff and have enough energy for the combat class i made a green monster with frozen melon, milk, yoghurt and spinach. Delicious!! After working out I had dinner waiting for me: some kind of white fish, mashed potatoes and carrots and peas.
So, now I really have to get to work for a while. I am taking the afternoon off because i'm going to Nijmegen to cheer on our English friend who is walking the 4daagse. his partner dropped out yesterday, due to pain and blisters. I hope by that time it will have stopped raining!
Okay, really gone now. Making myself some tea and getting stuff done.
dinsdag 21 juli 2009
maandag 20 juli 2009
Het meer slapen is gisteren niet heel goed gelukt, vannacht maar 7 uurtjes geslapen, nou ja, vandaag weer een nieuwe poging zullen we maar zeggen. Heb wel best wel gezond gegeten. Ontbijt was havermout met banaan. Moet toch nog steeds wennen aan die smaak hoor, of misschien vind ik het koud wel lekkerder. Lunch was dit:
Kidneybonen met tonijn, tomaat en mayonaise en crackers, lekker!! Verder niet veel spannends gedaan eigenlijk. Ben net naar spinning-les geweest en heb daarvoor mijn tweede Groene Monster gehad (gisteren de eerste). Ik moet zeggen dat ik er tot nog toe erg enthousiast over ben!
Hij was echt heel lekker en gaf me een hele lading energie, de spinningles was voorbij voordat ik erg in had!
Daarna naar huis waar het tijd was voor het avondeten. Vandaag mocht ik 'zondigen' van mijn tarwevrije dieet en spinaziepasta eten. Ga zo nog eventjes in huis aan de slag en dan is het alweer bijna bedtijd. De tijd gaat zo snel voorbij als je pas zo laat eet! Dus ga nu op schieten, dan heb ik nog wat tijd om te lezen voordat ik in slaap val.
zondag 19 juli 2009
I have joined the Summer Glow Boot Camp at http://www.ohsheglows.com/. It's a bit late, because they started three weeks ago, but I'll just read back the old post and pretend it's going on now, lol. The boot camp involves doing some exercises every other day, but also thinking a lot about your own health and lifestyle. So, somewhere this week Angela had a post on goal setting. We were supposed to set some goals for this month, using three steps. So here we go!
First step: Set the goals
1. Become rested
2. Read more books
3. Loose some body fat
Second step: terminals for each goal, how do you know you have reached the goal?
1. Be happy to get up in the morning, don't fall asleep at work, feeling energized and less moody because of exhaustion.
2. Feeling caught up in a book, looking forward to reading more and the obvious one: finishing more than 2 books a year. Maybe one a month for starters. I love reading, but I just don't make the time for it.
3. Better fitting clothes, lower hip and belly measures, stomach flatter, feeling more energized and healthy. The last two are also because this goal is part of and probably a logical consequence of my long term goal: living healthy.
Third step: how are you going to achieve these goals?
1. Change schedules. I will go home from work earlier in the day so i can write on my article at home. This will make me feel less like i'm only at home to eat, do the household and sleep. And that in turn will make it easier for me to go to bed early. I get up at 5.30 am 4 days a week, so the night prior to that I will have to be sleeping at 9.30 pm. Next week I will be working at home though, so I will have the chance to sleep some extra.
2. I want to combine this with my first goal by going to bed at 9pm so i get to read some before going to sleep. And on my days off I will try to make some time to read an hour a day instead of running around doing stuff.
3. This is a long one, because it involves two major changes.
- More cardio work outs. I actually started with this a few weeks ago, I changed one of my strenth work outs to cardio and started doing lots of abs exercises. This last thing turned out not so good :S my abs are very sore now every time i work out. So here is the schedule: monday: spinning class, tuesday: running + bootcamp exercises (usually involves abs), wednesday, body combat class, thursday: running + bootcamp exercises, friday: body pump class + zumba class. Saturday: do groceries and clean the house is enough, sunday: running and bootcamp exercises. As for the running: i am not a runner! But i am following a mp3 course Start to Run, where somebody talks you through the whole thing and you will learn to run 5k within 10 weeks. Let's hope it works out and my ankle/calf muscle wont start hurting. I think starting up easy and stretching might be the key here.
- Look at my diet: eat healthy foods and less sugars and fat. The fact that I will have to follow a wheat-free diet for the next 6 weeks will make this easier (no more cookies) but also harder (no regular bread and other whole wheat things). I did this diet before and lost a few pounds, i think because i also ate a lot less sugars. I want to eat more vegetables, so I will probably replace bread more often for salads than spelt bread. And i want to make Green Monsters! Yesterday I had my first one and it was delicious!
- become active with operation beautiful http://www.operationbeautiful.com/ . So that i don't get caught up in a conflict with my weigth and measures just for that. It is about my health and feeling good, not about being skinny. I am not fat anyway, but if i continue growing just a little like i did over the past years i will be fat in while.
There are so many more goals I could set, because there are so many things I would like to do/accomplish! But for now the healthy part and the sleep part are very important because they have been making me miserable lately. The reading part is because i have missed that a lot. And i can always set new goals when i accomplish one, three is more than enough for now! I am excited about it and will really work on them.
zaterdag 4 juli 2009
I am a little nervous for the conference, because i will be doing a poster presentation there about my research. But i am confident that everything will work out just fine.
I am off to bed now. Have a long day ahead of me. 'Till next week!
donderdag 2 juli 2009
Oh! I know. The other day the boyfriend made a really fun picture of one of the cats sleeping on the couch: