vrijdag 9 juli 2010

My Tica Sister

Yesterday I got to see my ‘sister’  Lilli from Costa Rica! Let me explain: after highschool I went to Costa Rica as an exchange student. I lived with a host family there for almost a year. We had a great connection and I really consider them family. After the exchange year I visit them two more times, but it had been six years since we saw each other. Sadly, the contact between us had been fading as well. I guess one of my flaws is that I am not so good in maintaining contact with people, especially if I can’t meet with them on a regular basis. But I was very happy to hear that my ‘sister’ was coming to Germany for a baptism and she would be staying close to the border at only a couple of hours from where I live!

She was staying there with a friend, and the parents of the baby. We agreed to meet in Maastricht, a beautiful city in the south of the Netherlands, so they could see Holland. Of course I got stuck in traffic and I also got lost (even though I think that made me get there faster). But then I finally got there and it was so good to see Lilli again!

P6070016

We walked across the bridge and sat down somewhere to have lunch.

 P6070014

After lunch we wandered around town, shopping a bit and  looking for some typical Dutch food, so they could have a taste. We tried Dutch Fries and Poffertjes (sort of mini pancakes but different). BTW, Lilli having her mouth open with food in it is a major inside joke.

P6070018-1

All in all, it was a really fun afternoon! I can’t even explain how happy it made me and how grateful I am that I have all these people who, even though they live far far away, still care so much about me.

The others were really nice too and Lilli and I had a great time catching up. Too bad the end of the afternoon came so soon. But everybody was pretty tired from the heat (30C; I don’t know what is happening here, it has been like this for 3 weeks now!) and especially the baby needed to go home.

Lilli brought me presents from the entire family for my birthday. So sweet!

First of all: Food! They black beans are hard to get here and the salsa is typical. They also got me some candy.

P6080030

A really sweet b-day card. Every family member wrote something on it. The hands are from a niece and nephew.

P6080021

My ‘sister-in-law’ made me this necklace and earrings. She has her own company selling these things. It’s really beautiful!

 P6080022 

She also got me this thingy for my phone. Game in handy as my previous phone thingy just fell apart.

P6080025

These are two souvenirs from costa rica. The one on the right shows coffee beans on top, then a traditional coffee maker and bread on the bottom. I am going to hang them on the wall.

 P6080028

A key chain with typical Costarican images.

P6080023

 

I hope that from now on I will be better at maintaining contact. It should be easier because we can now use Skype. Ok, I’m off writing a Thank You note and mailing it to them. It will take some time before it gets there.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten